Learning for learnings sake

I have had an exciting opportunity this term, as a deputy principal.  I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy the role, because I am passionate about learning, and my job was the Deputy Principal of Assessment and Reporting.  Learning and assessment are not mutually exclusive, but there are times as a teacher that I feel like assessment eclipses the importance of learning, for learnings sake.  I feel like you value credits and grades more than learning, and what it means to your development as a person.  Don't get me wrong, I know gaining a qualification is important, but it shouldn't be the only reason you turn up to school in the morning.

So today I am going to share with you why I love the act learning, and why it should be valued by you.

I love being an informed person, being able to have conversations with a wide variety of people, on a wide variety of topics.  And when some those conversations become confusing to me, I love that I have the confidence to say "I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're talking about, can you explain it to me"

I love that I learnt how our political system works.  While I find politics quite boring, I can still make an informed vote, because those people in Wellington makes choices that effect my day to day existence.

I love that I know I can swing this bucket of water over my head without getting wet.

I love knowing why the sky is blue, and why the grass is green - and have an appreciation of the incredible process that is photosynthesis.

I love being able to walk in to a shoe store, and calculate a 30% discount and figure out whether that means I can buy an second pair without getting in too much trouble with my husband.

I love having enough understanding of te reo and tikanga Maori to act appropriately and respectfully, and wish I knew more.

I love that I can cook, and cook well.

I love to read - I read a lot of books!

I love watching sports and understanding why a champion team will beat a team of champions

I would like to encourage you to love learning too.  To get out of bed in the morning in the hope that you will learn something new, maybe something interesting, maybe something that you will use again.  I want to encourage you to engage during class time not solely for a credit reward, but to learn for learnings sake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#it'snotaboutthebuildings

Collaboration - what do we want it to look like?

Road Trippin'