First #hackyrclass for Term 2


My first class hack for this project is using SOLO taxonomy to co-construct a genetics unit with my Level 1 Biology class.  We began by identifying what we know, what we want to know, and what we need to know.

I then introduced SOLO to the class as a framework for differentiated and personalised learning.  We have used this framework to structure and articulate differentiated learning outcomes.  



A question I get asked often as a teacher, is one that I find very challenging to answer - "What do I need to do to get Excellence"  The anti-establishment part of me rebels at the question - why should the grade matter?  Love the learning and learn it well!  Bless most of my students though, when they ask this question, it's not just because they are only interested in results, they do love their learning, but in the end, they have goals for tertiary study and the competitive courses and universities want strong academic records.  The SOLO taxonomy for genetics has given us the opportunity to answer this question together as a class - and to re-frame it to "How do I need to communicate my learning to get the grades I want to get" 

This is what we came up with:


  

They are engaged, excited and asking lots of questions.  They know where they are at and where they are going.
I am engaged and excited, and have lots of questions about how this is going to work.  I know where we're at and have some idea of where we are going, but will keep myself open to opportunities.

SOLO symbols courtesy of http://pamhook.com/

Comments

  1. You have given me inspiration for tomorrows lesson.

    I also used to feel frustration at students "just wanting to know how to get excellence". I used to reflect the question with "how might you get excellence?" In retrospect, this is a bit unfair as often they really have no idea. Now I choose to hear the questions as "Can you help me to develop effective strategies for learning so I know this topic really deeply?" And the answer to this is - sure can. Lets us SOLO Parts whole analysis to be in a position where we can explain and discuss the this stuff to an excellence level and lets use the describe++ map so we can feel confident in describing, explaining and evaluating aspects of this topic. etc.

    Sorry for pontificating but thanks for the blog

    Craig @perrynator18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Craig, you have further articulated my thinking!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#it'snotaboutthebuildings

Collaboration - what do we want it to look like?

Road Trippin'